Auto-variants

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Aug 8 00:58:37 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-08 09:44 , Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:28:48PM -0400, Arno Hautala wrote:
>> Either all optional libraries should always be disabled and
>> dependencies marked only as they are enabled, or this auto-variant
>> behavior could be adapted. I think the GSOC project that would
>> introduce "rev-upgrade" could be of use here. It could at least mark
>> decencies after compilation has occurred.
>
> It currently does not do that, but will detect broken binaries and
> rebuild the port (in this case without the auto-variant enabled).
> Recording actual dependencies (or warning if they don't match those
> specified in the Portfile) might be part of Felipe's "destroot-test
> phase" project, I think.

Yes, the post-destroot-check is intended to find this kind of hidden
dependencies and report them. Introducing dependencies automatically
without manual interaction isn't really possible as it requires changes
to the Portfile which might be too complex for an automated task to
succeed. So this should be left to the maintainer.

Rainer