Auto-variants

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Aug 8 06:26:18 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 03:44, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:28:48PM -0400, Arno Hautala wrote:
>>
>> I think the GSOC project that would introduce "rev-upgrade"
>> could be of use here. It could at least mark decencies after
>> compilation has occurred.
>
> It currently does not do that, but will detect broken binaries and
> rebuild the port (in this case without the auto-variant enabled).

Yeah, I mispoke. I didn't think rev-upgrade _would_ detect missing
dependencies, just that it _could_ be used to that end.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 03:58, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:

> Yes, the post-destroot-check is intended to find this kind of hidden
> dependencies and report them. Introducing dependencies automatically
> without manual interaction isn't really possible as it requires changes
> to the Portfile which might be too complex for an automated task to
> succeed. So this should be left to the maintainer.

That's a better solution as these issues really should be corrected in
the Portfile anyway.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 04:21, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> There's also trace mode which will prevent non-dependencies from being used.

Even better news. I do remember hearing about trace mode. And I think
I recall that the goal is to always enable it?

Sheesh, is it really Monday morning?

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448