[82168] trunk/dports/graphics

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 9 21:11:33 PDT 2011

On Aug 9, 2011, at 20:58, Blair Zajac wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2011, at 6:25 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Aug 9, 2011, at 19:57, Blair Zajac wrote:
>>
>>> Can you provide a link to universal so I know what this is all about?
>>>
>>> I could also tweak the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to get additional flags in there.
>>
>> Well, I mean a universal binary. Building for multiple architectures.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_binary
>>
>> We've been doing it for years, since Intel Macs came out.
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#universal
>
> I just assumed that the compiler made universals by default, but what you're saying is that you need to provide multiple -arch to get a universal?

Correct, the compiler makes single-arch binaries by default. What arch is used depends on the OS and processor. On Leopard and earlier, the default compiler arch is i386 or ppc depending on your processor. On Snow Leopard and up, the default compiler arch is x86_64. In MacPorts, we want to be very specific about what arch we're building for, and not rely on the compiler's defaults (hence use of ${configure.cc_archflags} and now in MacPorts 2.0 [get_canonical_archflags]) because we record the architectures for which a port is built in the registry when a port is installed, and MacPorts uses this information to discover if the architectures for which a dependency is built are sufficient when installing a new port.