[82163] trunk/dports/lang/llvm-devel/Portfile

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Aug 12 07:24:09 PDT 2011

On Aug 12, 2011, at 12:23 AM, vincent habchi wrote:

> Ryan,
>
>> ...and it's not ok that it fetches from the HEAD of trunk. We want ports that can be installed reproducibly, and a port that fetches a different version of the upstream software each time it's run is not reproducible. Pick a specific revision of their trunk that works correctly for you, and pin the port to using that revision (using e.g. "svn.revision 123") and put in the version field something corresponding, or using that revision's date. For example if this is revision 123 from 2011-06-06 and this represents the development effort leading up to llvm version 3.0, then the version line might be "3.0-r123" or "3.0-20110606".
>
> I’d agree with you if any other port than dragonegg-devel would depend on llvm-devel. But this is not the case. As long as both ports are kept in sync, be it HEAD or some specific version, it should work. Aren’t there other ports that fetch directly from SVN HEAD?

It's not the dependency between the two that's the issue, it's the reproducibility and being able to say you have this version of the build.  Otherwise we may be fielding bug reports and not knowing (through MacPorts) which version is installed.

You can bump both ports revision number at the same time anytime there's a revision worth bumping to.

Blair