A Plea to Reduce Dependences (e.g., for swig)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Aug 16 14:01:47 PDT 2011

Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> Few people probably remember this, but back when I started using MacPorts, one of the selling points was that it used the built-in MacOS X software (as opposed to fink, which installed its own versions of everything).

As I remember it, it was quite the other way around ?
(as DarwinPorts was building most things for PureDarwin)

Fink *still* uses system versions, where available...
(Using a /sw/bin/fink-virtual-pkgs script to determine)

Both of them rebuild a lot of Mac OS X provided software.

Homebrew doesn't, but instead it has some "other issues".

---anders