A Plea to Reduce Dependences (e.g., for swig)

M.E. O'Neill oneill at cs.hmc.edu
Tue Aug 16 18:50:48 PDT 2011

Joshua Root wrote:
> I agree the FAQ entry could do with a rewrite to use less dismissive language. Patches welcome. ;-)

I don't think you want a patch from me.  I'd replace it with the following attempt at humor:

;-)

MacPorts is a bit like a cult.  You need to really commit it it.  One day, it'll install its own version of Safari, because hey, something needed a web browser and Apple's one just Isn't Good Enough For MacPorts(tm).  You need to be okay with that.  You need to LIKE it.  Once you realize that nothing Apple provides is actually Good Enough For MacPorts(tm), you'll be happier.  Soon we'll be requiring you to use a special MacPorts C compiler to build ports, because the one in Xcode, well, it's just not up to snuff.  I mean really, those guys are clueless and can't be trusted.  We, on the other hand, are teh awesome.  Tcl FTW!

Suck it up.  If you don't like it, there's a door over there marked Homebrew.  They think they're clever because they use system libraries and have coded stuff in ruby and that makes them all trendy. You go ahead, party with them in /usr/local if that's your thing. We won't miss you.  Anyway, just go!  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

;-)

> file a ticket

To do that, I'll need you to complete a form 57/B "request to file an enhancement ticket (class 1)", or perhaps an [An8}+] "request to file a lengthy enhancement ticket that will be ignored (type 2)", or possibly an 81\C:\24ałpha "request to make a bug report using a web form rather than via a mailing list rant".  Please contact the the form provisioning office using form 13(;,;)31 to obtain the necessary forms.

Once I have that, I'll get right on it.

;-)

    M.E.O.