depends_build

M.E. O'Neill oneill at cs.hmc.edu
Wed Aug 17 01:27:54 PDT 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Mac OS X (well, Xcode) has BSD make.

Uh, no -- at least not the way you seem to be thinking.

% /usr/bin/make --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-apple-darwin11.0

% /Developer/usr/bin/make --version
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-apple-darwin11.0

OS X does have BSD make, but it's installed as `bsdmake'.  Please do NOT put a build dependency on gmake from Macports unless it really does absolutely need the-latest-and-greatest GNU make.  Likewise, don't put a build dependency on gcc46 unless it really has to be built with GCC 4.6.

> you should declare a build dependency on gmake (and coerce the software to build with gmake and not make, probably by setting build.cmd to ${prefix}/bin/gmake).

As we've seen, even if you need GNU make, you're almost certainly fine with the system-provided one.  (Thinking you have to use the MacPorts make is exactly the kind of needless build-dependency creep that I was lamenting earlier.)

    M.E.O.