depends_build

M.E. O'Neill oneill at cs.hmc.edu
Wed Aug 17 01:40:22 PDT 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Sorry, you're right of course. I guess I was thinking of some other utilities on Mac OS X, like sed, which are BSD versions, whereas Linux typically has GNU versions, and this difference can sometimes affect ports.

FWIW, as much as possible, I believe that if something uses traditional Unix/POSIX tools like awk, sed, or sh and requires GNU extensions, it's worth taking up with the upstream author, because their software won't build out of the box on OS X, BSD systems, and other Unixes like Solaris.  Usually there is a simple way to avoid the GNU extension, and they had no idea it wasn't portable.

To my eye, this approach is far preferable to hacking the build in a Portfile.

    M.E.O.