Suddenly 4000 ports more available

Mark Bestley news{ at bestley.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 01:50:31 PDT 2011

Marko Käning <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms>
wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> > And I think somebody already mentioned Homebrew, that
> > doesn't install *any* perl or python packages but defer
> > to using cpan -i or easy_install for those (to /Library).
> I think it would be advisable to go this path.
> Wondering what arguments are against such an approach...

If you want a later or bugfixed python then how is this installed. e.g.
Up to Lion Apple's python can be one major release behind and I don't
think Apple upgrade a minor version, plus tere is python 3.

Some libraries are complex to install via easy_install so havin a
macport to do all the dependency work is very useful.

However I have just had a case of py26-tkinter needing python2.7 to be
installed - this is because one of the C libraries it needs needs python
- the library has variants for pythons 2.4-7 but 2.7 is the default - In
this case perhaps macports should automatically choose a variant for
which python is installed.

In otherwords I don't mind the py2x- variants when I am using python
libraries but if I am not installing one of these then the python used
could be Apple's

--
Mark