reduce-algebra portfile dev

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 16:30:30 PDT 2011

On Aug 20, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Mark, I rejected your initial post because the logfile you attached was too large. Many people are subscribed to this list, some of whom are on slow or expensive Internet connections, and many won't be interested in your logfile. But it's unlikely anyone can help you without the logfile. Compression is helpful, or you can upload the file somewhere, then provide a URL to it.

No problem.

> A relevant line in the log was:
>
> :info:destroot make: `install' is up to date.
>
> This means the project's Makefile is not written properly. They assume they are running on a case-sensitive filesystem, which most Macs aren't. It's a conflict between the virtual rule "install" (as in "make install") and the real file "INSTALL" which provides installation instructions.

I looked at the "INSTALL" file and all it contains is this one line:

See the file BUILDING for commentary about configuring and building
this code.

There is another file in the directory named "install-sh"

> The best solution is to fix the Makefile and provide the patch back to the developers. Locate the ".PHONY" line in the Makefile and add "install" to it. If there is no .PHONY line, add one:
>
> .PHONY install
>
> An alternate solution is to just delete the INSTALL file, for example in the post-extract phase.

The first line in Makefile:

 .PHONY: dist all csl psl

Patch this line to add "install-sh"?