reduce-algebra portfile dev

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 19:35:02 PDT 2011

On Aug 20, 2011, at 8:57 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2011, at 20:39, Mark Brethen wrote:
>
>> On Aug 20, 2011, at 7:41 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> You can narrow your search down to those Makefiles that are in the same directory as an INSTALL file:
>>>

>>> $ find trunk -name INSTALL
>>> trunk/csl/cslbase/cm-unicode/INSTALL
>>> trunk/csl/cslbase/INSTALL
>>> trunk/csl/fox/INSTALL
>>> trunk/generic/redfront/INSTALL
>>> trunk/INSTALL
>>
>> trunk/csl/cslbase/cm-unicode --> no makefile in this dir
>> trunk/csl/cslbase --> local maintenance in the cslbase directory
>> trunk/csl/fox --> FOX GUI Library Installation
>> trunk/generic/redfront --> This is the one
>> no makefile.am
>> no makefile.in
>> makefile already has the line  ".PHONY: all csl psl install install-csl install-psl uninstall uninstall-csl"
>
> Then it probably is the main Makefile directly in trunk. However, adding "install" to the .PHONY line just makes "make install" say "Nothing to be done for `install'", since as I pointed out earlier there is no "install" target in that Makefile. You may have to ask the developers how this software is to be installed (or consult their documentation), since "make install" doesn't appear to be it. I checked the BUILDING file and it says in part:
>
>> [At present I do not in any way guarantee (and I probably do not even expect)
>> that the usual "configure" option "--prefix=..." or the idiom "make install"
>> will behave as you might have hoped. Indeed there are reports that at
>> present "make install" is deeply broken and SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED.]

Installation is described here:  http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/reduce-algebra/index.php?title=Installation

If you look towards the end of the sect "Complete Sources and Supporting Files" you'll read:

"After compilation a suitable executable redcsl or redpsl (with a .bat extension for Windows) will be found in the trunk/bin subdirectory.

There is no make install for installing things somewhere else in your filetree. We recommend to add trunk/bin to your PATH."

It sounds like manual Portfile scripting is necessary?

Mark