PortGroup versions (was: Re: Active version error)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Aug 24 14:18:26 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-24 21:22 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2011, at 21:16, Arno Hautala wrote:
>> It's a bug in the Perl 5 PortGroup.
>
> At this time, it is being considered a *behavior* of the perl5 portgroup, which users should ignore; it is harmless, if annoying.

At least we have now learned that introducing major changes to a port
group should result in an increment of the version number.

Another solution would be to expand PortGroup statements at the time of
installation of a Portfile while saving it to the registry. But it would
prevent us from fixing bugs or changing behavior of the port group after
a port is installed.

Also I noticed now that this handling of port groups is most probably
broken when using multiple sources. When executing the activate/deactive
phase from the registry it would always load the port group from the
default source and not from the source the Portfile actually came from.

Rainer