A Plea to Reduce Dependences (e.g., for swig)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Aug 28 08:25:35 PDT 2011

Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

>>> I do my building on a single machine and rsync out the /opt/local/ results to my clients. I have always considered it a great design and I want to encourage maintaining the /opt/local/. If things were built and spread out across the file tree my methods become more complicated. This also protects my production /opt/local/ from MacPorts build process breaking.
>>
>> This doesn't change, if linking to /usr.
>
> It change if the files in /usr differ on each machine, no?

Why would they be different (assuming /usr, but not /usr/local) ?

If you have different OS versions, then the software in /opt/local
wouldn't work either - since it's compiled against the wrong one.
One could use a SDK, but that goes right back into "unsupported"
(as I don't think MacPorts has enough support to cross-compile...)

--anders