append svn revision to port version

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Dec 9 17:03:45 PST 2011

On 2011-12-10 11:30 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2011, at 4:18 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> The idea is fine, but you should extend MACPORTS_VERSION_MACRO rather
>> than calling a separate shell script.
>

> The MACPORTS_VERSION_MACRO in configure.ac?
>
> I did that first but then the svn version is coded into configure.
> Using this method requires autoconf be run on the server after each svn commit or the user run autoconf after each svn up.
> It's very possible I am missing something that is obvious to people more familiar with svn and autoconf.

You'd want to change it to generate some code in the configure script
rather than just a constant, of course.

You do bring up another point though: having to reconfigure after each
svn up just to insert the new revision number isn't much better. So
doing this in a make rule would probably be better.

- Josh