Reduce Algebra port

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 14:49:53 PST 2011

It looks like the latest svn already includes PSL. This is from the read me:

Status report January 2011
==========================

PSL
---

We have the PSL sources in the trunk cleaned up for the most
wanted versions, i.e. Windows, Linux(Intel), and Mac/OS (Intel)
both 32 and 64 bit.

The maintenance for the PSL trees is done by the script

make-psl.sh     in this directory.

This script chooses the traditional PSL-name from the generic name used
at configure time, e.g.

x86_64-unknown-ubuntu10.04   ==>  AMD64

which keeps the name stable across changes of the OS version or
change of the Linux distribution.

Simply starting the script by ./make-psl.sh produces a PSL tree *here*,
most important are ./bin and ./dist .

There are variants (as usual :-) ) which allow one to produce a different
version on a compatible system, e.g. an extended AMD64 system (using
all registers, inline cons, etc) which can be made by

./make-psl.sh AMD64_ext

on an 64 bit Linux system. As of today, you can produce versions called
linux (32 bit Intel Linux) or brock (don't ask) by setting the parameter.

Similar thing can be done on MAC/OS. The canonical name is mactintel64,
but macintel can be generated on a 64 bit system as well.

REDUCE from PSL
---------------

Based on the PSL versions described above, one is able to produce REDUCE
versions for PSL which not rely on binaries from ZIB Berlin. After

svn update               (or checkout)    and
./configure --with-psl         one can use
cd psl
./make-psl.sh            not stricly necessary, but we cannot discuss this here
./make-reduce.sh         takes the local binaries and the Makefile form configure
                         to produce a REDUCE version. The names are the same as above,
                         Parameterisation as above too, a little trick is used to
                         find the Makefile.
                         REDUCE can be started from ../pslbuild/<MACHINE>/redpsl
                         which can be copied to a more convenient place.

On Dec 11, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2011, at 13:06, Mark Brethen wrote:
>
>> I was developing a port a couple months back for Reduce Algebra. Recently I received some feedback below about the installation on linux and it was pretty simple. Any reason it should not be the same for Mac?
>>
>> ###
>>
>> -Mark
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin at inp.nsk.su>
>>> Date: December 11, 2011 9:08:49 AM CST
>>> To: Mark Brethen <mark.brethen at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] reduce plugin

>>> Don't know about mac. On Linux, I just check out the current source using subversion and do
>>>
>>> ./configure --with-psl
>>>
>>> It is important to have Internet connection at this moment: configure actually downloads stuff from ZIB Berlin. Then
>>>
>>> make
>>>
>>> and that's all. No special installation needed; if you want, you can symlink redpsl to some place in your $PATH.
>>>
>>> Once more, I don't have a mac, and don't know if this will work in MacOS (and if all the standard tools like GNU make, etc. are available).
>
> Of course the standard tools like GNU make etc. are available on OS X.
>
> The port would need a custom destroot phase to install the software into ${destroot}${prefix} somewhere.
>
> The configure script should be patched to *not* download stuff; downloads should happen only in the fetch phase.

Mark