reduce-algebra portfile

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 17:16:03 PST 2011

A follow-up to my last post. I found a documented way to avoid downloading from ZIB Berlin:

Based on the PSL versions described above, one is able to produce REDUCE
versions for PSL which not rely on binaries from ZIB Berlin. After

svn update               (or checkout)    and
./configure --with-psl         one can use
cd psl
./make-psl.sh            not stricly necessary, but we cannot discuss this here
./make-reduce.sh         takes the local binaries and the Makefile form configure
                         to produce a REDUCE version. The names are the same as above,
                         Parameterisation as above too, a little trick is used to
                         find the Makefile.
                         REDUCE can be started from ../pslbuild/<MACHINE>/redpsl
                         which can be copied to a more convenient place.

What would be the equivalent script line in the port file for the lines below "one can use" above?

On Dec 11, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Mark Brethen wrote:

> In answer to your question:
>
> 1. Portable Standard Lisp (PSL) is currently the Lisp used most widely for running REDUCE. PSL is supported on many architectures and is an ideal system for those wanting to run REDUCE as a standalone system. Currently, TeXmacs has a plugin for psl reduce. If you use csl reduce, you are out of luck.
>
> 2. Codemist Standard Lisp (CSL) is written completely in ANSI C, which makes it very easy to port to a new machine. This is an ideal system for those wishing to embed algebraic calculations in a C-based programming environment.
>
> The CSL based build of the whole of REDUCE from scratch involves the following
> steps
>      compile the FOX GUI toolkit
>      compile CSL sources to make a "bootstrapreduce" executable
>      use that to process the reduce sources to create "bootstrapreduce.img"
>      run all REDUCE tests to create profile information
>      using the profile information compile some scattered REDUCE sources
>          into C code
>      compile that C and link with bits of CSL to make the "reduce" executable
>      Using that create "reduce.img"
>
> The BULK of the files in this tree are subject to the (modified) BSD license,
> as shown below. There are some components that are subject to more restrictive
> terms (notably the FOX GUI Toolkit, used in one version of the code here, is
> under LGPL).
>
> The CSL version of Reduce has started to migrate to use the wxWidgets
> library rather than FOX (see below). wxWidgets is under its own license
> which is LGPL 2 (or later) plus some permissive exceptions for the
> distribution of applications linked against the library. A full
> archive is wxWidgets source is included and that contains full details.
>

> On Dec 11, 2011, at 8:02 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> What is the difference between CSL and PSL? Does the user care? Must we offer the choice at all?
>

> Mark

Mark