Fwd: Naming Scheme for MacPorts Octave versions

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Dec 12 21:47:48 PST 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 09:17:40PM -0500, Michael Dickens wrote:
> From: Lukas Reichlin <lukas.reichlin at gmail.com>
[...]
> For reasons I don't understand, MacPorts "octave" port is still
> version 3.2.4. The current release, version 3.4.3, is only
> available as "octave-devel". Since Octave 3.6.0 will be available
> soon and we don't want an "octave-devel-devel", something needs
> to be done. Probably there are people who still want the outdated
> Octave 3.2, so I propose to change the port names as following:

It looks like 3.4 is now the stable version. Is there a reason we're
still distributing it as octave-devel and 3.2 as octave? It'd make
things a lot easier if we could avoid providing more versions. Are
there really a lot of people who will want the previous stable version?

(These aren't rhetorical questions; I only rarely use octave so I
really don't know the answers myself.)

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/