Naming Scheme for MacPorts Octave versions

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Wed Dec 14 05:15:06 PST 2011

On Dec 13, 2011, at 10:41 AM, Lukas Reichlin wrote:

  With "octave-devel", its ~/octave/packagename-version by
  default. You can specify the location upon install, and there
  must be ways to change the default location as well.

That's what I thought, and it makes sense too; so, good.  One
goal when doing "port install octave-packagename" is to make that
package available to all octave users on the system, not just the
local user.  Actually, that's a general goal for MacPorts, not
just octave.  So, moving to having just octave and octave-devel
ports, and no package ports, means that each user will have to
install what s/he wants locally -- instead of having a single
'port' command to do it globally.  Given that Octave & packages
aren't really maintained on MacPorts, I don't see this as a major
issue -- I'd rather have more up-to-date but semi-maintained
minimal functionality and keep packages local, than to have older
and/or non-maintained functionality but global packages.
Ideally, we'd get someone to maintain the various octave ports
... but I guess until that happens, we're better off with fewer
ports to maintain.  IMHO. - MLD