Depending on python2.x for building

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Dec 18 23:28:16 PST 2011

On 2011-12-19 10:50 , Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> So it turns out that llvm doesn't build well with python3 (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32575).  It's been building fine in most cases without the python dependency in the port by picking up /usr/bin/python or ${prefix}/bin/python if a 2.x python is port selected.
>
> What's the "best practices" way to handle this?  I don't want to use /usr/bin/python, and I don't want to deal with multiple python variants.  Is there a way to set $PYHON to "any" 2.x python on the system (and build one if there is none available)?

Well, it doesn't seem too hard to check for the existence of
${prefix}/bin/python2.* and add a depends_build if there's none. I don't
really see why this would be superior to using /usr/bin/python if any
old 2.x python will do, though.

Personally I'd just use python27 and be done with it, but people always
seem to complain when you do that.

- Josh