Vacuuming

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 23 08:32:18 PST 2011

On Dec 23, 2011, at 10:20, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> Or when port has no error and has run out of things to do.

That's what it currently does. port isn't a daemon... it runs on demand, when I tell it to. And I don't want it to vacuum every time it thinks it would be beneficial. It's too expensive; 45 seconds is too long to wait.

You're familiar with PHP, so I'll compare it to PHP's session garbage collection: it's too expensive to do on every request, so they use a probability to decide whether to garbage collect, defaulting to running the garbage collection process on 1% of requests, and allowing this default to be changed if desired.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/session.configuration.php#ini.session.gc-probability

I'm just asking for MacPorts to do something similar, and not do its garbage collection (vacuuming) on every uninstall. Do it on 10% of uninstalls, or if the amount of garbage reaches 10% of the registry's size, or some other convenient criteria.