macfuse

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 30 16:03:48 PST 2011

On 30 Dec 2011, at 5:17pm, Anatol Pomozov wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the info. It's clear you have a better understanding than i do, I was just following things on the lists, as a user of MacFuse, and yes I did get the feeling somehow that osxfuse was better supported/advanced than osxfuse, but maybe that was just because I followed things mostly from the MacFuse / OSXfuse mailing lists ….
>
> If fuse4x is aiming to be more compatible (i.e. 100%) with upstream fuse, unlike osxfuse, then I agree this is probably worth giving up ABI compatibility with macfuse for. Cleaning up crude from code is always a good idea as well …
>
> I just throw the idea in to see why fuse4x was being discussed, and now I know why...
>
> I see that this question "Fuse4x vs MacFuse vs Tuxera vs OsxFuse" produces a lot of confusion. I added some information to the project front-page fuse4x.org
>
> BTW you mentioned that you use stand-alone macfuse/osxfuse. Do you use it for tuxera ntfs?

no. tuxera ntfs supplies its own packaged fuse version. I was using osxfuse for a few (mainly macfusion) applications thats yes are quite old but built against the macfuse API, so work with osxfuse but not fuse4x. I am happy enough to switch to using MacPorts sshfs at the command line.

I also do use tuxea ntfs. and yes, I know it is essentially just a nicely packaged version of ntfs-3g… I just personally think it is worth the license, as in my experience ntfs-3g just not work any where near as smoothly out the box as tuxera ntfs. ymmv.

Chris