multiple arch flags won't work with -E

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Feb 3 11:24:02 PST 2011

On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:14 PM, James Gregurich wrote:

> I need clear guidance on where to go on this point. Should macports be patched to add the missing flags to CPPFLAGS or should the expat folks be approached about corrections to their configure script.

I don't have an easy answer but...

You probably need a larger sample size to determine if adding arch args to CPPFLAGS is a good idea or not. As a practical matter, it's only worth doing if it solves more problems than it causes.

> It seems to me that configure scripts are inherently designed to accept one architecture at a time....which is what muniveral does.

configure scripts can very pretty extensively based on the individual project.

For an old project at $WORK, I adapted an existing configure build setup to build universal (ppc/i386) properly and by default on MacOS X (we didn't do any cross-compilation).

There are plenty of ports that build OK without using munivsersal. muniversal is very useful for ports where 'correcting' the build to not require two runs (plus lipo) is too much work, though.

> However, I'd like guidance on this point. Am I correct or are there some details I'm not seeing and the port should work as is.

I think mostly you're seeing that building anything that isn't very simple is often hard, unless the upstream developers have put some effort into making it work correctly (and for configure based builds, multiple arch and/or cross-compiling is not very simple).

--
Daniel J. Luke