[MacPorts] #28463: atk @1.33.6 fails to build

~suv suv-sf at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 19 11:54:51 PST 2011

On 19/2/11 13:29, Joshua Root wrote:
>> Changes (by blb@…):
>>
>> Comment:
>>
>>  Isn't 1.33.* the unstable branch, making 1.32.* the version we should be
>>  using?
>
>> Comment(by suv-sf@…):
>>
>>  Replying to [comment:14 singingwolfboy@…]:
>>  > Added the gobject-introspection dependency in r76235.[[BR]]
>>  > resolution set to fixed
>>  With regard to your recent changes - why did you upgrade two ports to
>>  their unstable versions (atk, gdk-pixbuf2)? Usually it is save to rely on
>>  MacPorts to install the stable release versions and use separate devel
>>  ports if one wants to test a development branch.
>>
>>  Also, why are now three apparently random ports configured with '--enable-
>>  introspection=yes' whereas the rest of the gtk2-related dependencies are
>>  not? On the homepage for [http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection
>>  GObject Introspection] it explicitly says in the first sentence:
>>  > '''Note: GObject Introspection is still in development''' - the first
>>  stable release is scheduled for release with GTK+ 3.
>>
>>  If you need introspection enabled for building the just released gtk3,
>>  could this be handled in variants, or separate ports, without affecting
>>  gtk2 appplications? AFAIU it will take quite a while before gtk3 can
>>  "replace" gtk2, and some applications maybe never upgrade to gtk3.
>
> These are very good questions. David?

Could the changes made in these revisions [1] (upgrade to unstable
branches, enable gobject-introspection) be reverted until it is
determined they are indeed required for gtk2 now (why?) and thoroughly
tested that they don't break existing gtk2 ports/applications
(universal, PPC, i386 or x86_64) which built and ran fine prior to
enabling gobject-introspection on three dependencies (gdk-pixbuf2,
pango, atk)?

Note also that
- due to unsolved issues, the gobject-introspection port now
  is 'nomaintainer' [2], [3]
- MacPorts 'gobject-introspection' uses an earlier unstable
  release (0.9.12), the latest stable release is 0.10.2 [4]
- for pango, gobject-introspection had been disabled earlier
  because it breaks universal builds [5], [6]
- atk now fails to build universal, see ticket #28473 [7]
- ...

In case the changes had been done to fix issues with the recently added
port of gtk3 (still at 2.99.2, though 3.0 is out now [8]), it would be
great IMHO if adding the gtk3 port would not ever break any gtk2-based
applications and the dependencies of gtk3 could be handled in separate
ports if required (as far as I understand, great care was taken to make
gtk3 install to separate paths to avoid conflicts with gtk2).

~suv

[1] related recent changes to the portfiles:
<http://trac.macports.org/changeset/76189>
<http://trac.macports.org/changeset/76190>
<http://trac.macports.org/changeset/76196>
<http://trac.macports.org/changeset/76235>
<http://trac.macports.org/changeset/76236>
<http://trac.macports.org/changeset/76236>

[2] <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/28472#comment:1>
[3] <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/28463#comment:15>
[4] announcement of gobject-introspection 0.10.0
<http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2010-December/msg00041.html>
[5] <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/20924#comment:47>
[6] <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/26697>
[7] <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/28473>