libpng transition?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Fri Jan 21 15:37:56 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 06:14:49PM -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 06:00:52PM -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> > >  Well if it does, the code must be buggy. When I did a 'sudo port selfupdate'
> > > and 'sudo port outdated', pymol ended up still linked against libpng12.dylib.
> > > I had to manually uninstall, clean, build and install pymol again against the
> > > new libpng.
> >
> > I'm sure patches to fix the problem and/or a bug report with some information on how to reproduce the problem would be welcome.
>
> Does port leave an audit trail ala yum.log? I double checked and my local port directory for pymol had revision 1
> so any previous builds of pymol would not have superceded the new revision 2. I also see that pymol revision bumped
> at r75159 on 1/16/01.
>        Jack

   I see from a google search that MacPorts lacks logging. Would it be that difficult to add
a very simple logging facility (instead of the complex proposal from https://trac.macports.org/ticket/2020)?
Just have port add a line to a /opt/local/var/port.log file on successful completion of a task.
Having a log modelled on yum.log which shows a time stamp, port action and port name would
allow for confirmation of misbehaviors by port when dealing with dependencies. Especially since
often these problems will only be found after the fact when the Terminal window from the port
session will have been closed.
         Jack