Guidelines for acceptance of port submissions?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jan 24 13:33:31 PST 2011

On Jan 24, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Larry Gilbert wrote:

> What are the guidelines, if any, for accepting new ports?

I don't think we have anything written.

> Do they have to be vetted by a senior MacPorts project member, or anything like that?

Nope. Feel free to ask someone if you want a second pair of eyes, but otherwise:

- Make sure it's not something there is already a port for
- Make sure the portfile looks OK, doesn't do anything crazy, and works

> More to the point: as a committer, I want to ask whether I have the authority to (a) create and add new ports unilaterally, and (b) accept others' port submissions if they are languishing and I think they look okay.

I'm not an authority, but as far as I know the answers are:

yes, and yes.

--
Daniel J. Luke