iOS cross compiling support

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jan 28 16:38:11 PST 2011

On 2011-1-29 10:49 , James Gregurich wrote:
>>> for the record, the precise definition of my terms are....
>>>
>>> host = system with dev tools that builds the product
>>> target = system upon which the product executes.

In the autotools world these are the --build and --host options
respectively. There's also --target which is used when you're building a
compiler.

Looking back through the thread, I don't see an explanation of why you
need to figure out the build system's triplet yourself. Configure
scripts will typically come with a copy of config.guess and figure it
out on their own.

It should also be noted that build systems that handle cross compiling
correctly are actually not too common (even among the ones that use
autotools).

- Josh