iOS cross compiling support

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jan 28 18:06:17 PST 2011

On 2011-1-29 11:52 , James Gregurich wrote:

>> Looking back through the thread, I don't see an explanation of why you
>> need to figure out the build system's triplet yourself. Configure
>> scripts will typically come with a copy of config.guess and figure it
>> out on their own.
>
> How would config.guess know what the target hardware/os is for an iOS device given it doesn't run on the iOS device? building icu for iOS requires that you pass --host=arm-apple-darwin to the configure script.

Of course it can't guess what the host machine is going to be, you have
to set that explicitly. But you seemed to be wanting to do that for the
build machine (at least that seemed to be what all that talk of using
base's config.guess and/or the os.* variables was about), which is
unnecessary.

- Josh