submission of initial cross-compilation work for review

James Gregurich bayoubengal at mac.com
Mon Jan 31 19:39:48 PST 2011

I'm ready to submit an initial draft of my icu cross-compilation work for review. I've prepared a zip file of my "iopt" directory and placed it online. Other should be able to unpack the file to /iopt and immediately use it by invoking:

sudo /iopt/bin/port -v install icu +universal

I"ve added a few new options to the .conf file as well as several new variables to support cross-compilation.

New Options added:

macports::os_host_platform
macports::os_host_version
macports::configure_host_compiler
macports::os_target_platform
macports::os_target_version
macports::configure_target_compiler

New variables added:

os.host_platform
os.target_platform

os.host_version
os.target_version

os.host_is_apple_platform
os.target_is_apple_platform

os.cross_compile_required_for_target

os.host_apple_sdk_name
os.target_apple_sdk_name

os.host_major_platform
os.host_minor_platform
os.host_device

os.target_major_platform
os.target_minor_platform
os.target_device

configure.target_canonical_system_type

configure.host_sdkroot
configure.target_sdkroot

configure.host_cc
configure.target_cc

configure.host_cpp
configure.target_cpp

configure.host_objc
configure.target_objc

configure.host_compiler
configure.target_compiler

affected (changed) files:

macports.conf
portconfigure.tcl
portutil.tcl
muniversal-1.0.tcl
macports.tcl

the ICU Portfile.

There are comments scattered around the changed files that should reasonably explain the rationale. Feel free to ask questions. The purpose of this project is to create a proof-of-concept design for allowing for iOS compatibility in macports.  I'd like to see this work (or some other implementation of it) made official in the not-too-distant future. Let me know what I can do to speed up the review process and get the work accepted. Since boost is my next immediate need,  I'm now going to attempt to modify the boost Portfile to work with the iOS support.

Note 1: I haven't tried this code with the simulator sdk yet, but it should work with the appropriate adjustments to the .conf file.
Note 2: I haven't tested this code with normal macosx ports, but they are supposed to work correctly unmodified.

-James