Bogus svn:mergeinfo changes

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Jul 8 02:33:12 PDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 06:30 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
> Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? It's not causing any
> actual functional problems, but it does add irrelevant lines to the
> commit logs, which makes them a little harder to read.

At least I found something about the problem on the Subversion blog
where they promise to fix this for svn 1.7:

http://blogs.collab.net/subversion/2009/11/where-did-that-mergeinfo-come-from/

Also, here is a post from a thread on the subversion-users mailing-list
which discusses exactly our problem:

Bob Archer wrote:
| Basically, what it comes down to is the fact that the merge info on
| the files does not match the merge info on the parent folders.
| Whenever and item in the path has mergeinfo and a merge is performed
| that merge info is updated. (this is supposed to stop happening as of
| 1.7 I believe). As long as there is merge info on a file that isn't
| in the parent folder the merge info will remain at the file level.
| Once they match the merge info in the children (files) will be elided
| and you won't see this happen again.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-users/201103.mbox/%3CCB4587DA62024B40B9F929ECF639210F2C828B6CCE@USALWEXMB4.infor.com%3E

So either need to wait for svn 1.7 or edit the svn:mergeinfo properties
manually so the parent directories match the files.

Rainer