upgrade order change?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Jul 25 18:17:04 PDT 2011

On 2011-7-26 10:53 , Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> It used to be that the actual time between uninstall of the old version/install of the new version was very short with upgrade.
>
> It looks like now it's possibly _much_ longer since the old version is deactivated before the new version is built (instead of the new version being built/installed or at least destrooted/archived, then deactivate of the old/activate of the new).
>
> Was this done on purpose (to help keep software from linking to the older version of itself?). On the whole, I prefer the old behavior (although if I'm downloading/installing binary packages, I don't care as much).

I wasn't aware of any change. AFAIK upgrade still installs the new
version, then activates it, which automatically deactivates the
currently active version if any.

The only time the old version is uninstalled first should be if the same
version is being installed, i.e. it's a forced upgrade or a rebuild due
to changed platform. This has been the behaviour for quite a long time
as well.

- Josh