Setting environnement variable in a port

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jul 26 17:54:43 PDT 2011

On 2011-7-26 23:26 , Sébastien Maret wrote:

> Le 26 juil. 2011 à 15:21,  a écrit :
>
>> On 2011-7-26 23:08 , Sébastien Maret wrote:
>>> I need to set variables at run time, not during the port phases. For example, the port must set the PYTHONPATH variable so that the Python modules installed by the port can be imported in a Python session.
>>
>> My first instinct is that you're probably doing it wrong. Why can't you
>> install the module where python will find it automatically?
>
> That would do the trick for PYTHONPATH, but not for the other, app-specific, variables that must be set for the program to run properly.

MacPorts doesn't have a mechanism to do that (and a lot of users
wouldn't want it messing with their shell config). The user installing
the port is not at all guaranteed to be the user that will be running
it, anyway.

You can install a file that users can source, and tell them that they
need to do so in the port's notes.

- Josh