dseditgroup on Tiger

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Jul 31 09:08:29 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-31 10:02 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Now System Preferences' Accounts pane opens fine. Yes, the MacPorts user is displayed there, next to "Message\ Bus" (which has been there for years) and my regular user. Ideally we wouldn't display the macports user in System Preferences, but it doesn't really matter to me, and I don't know how to hide it. It doesn't show up there on Snow Leopard.

IIRC Tiger showed all users with a UID >= 500. On Leopard and later,
System Preferences and Login Window do not show users with a password
set to the string "*" as we it when creating users with MacPorts.

There is also a global option for the login window to hide specific users:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow
HiddenUsersList -array-add macports

At least I think that's what I did with the messagebus user back then...

As Tiger is unsupported now and this isn't a issue for Leopard and
above, users might do this by hand, but there is no real need to have
the installer do it.

Rainer