preparing for a new release

Panayotis Katsaloulis panayotis at panayotis.com
Tue Jun 14 02:41:07 PDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 10:17 AM, Joshua Root wrote:

> It would probably be best to try to work with any committers who may
> also be NDA'd.
>
> Java could also be made a variant for a number of ports, and could be on
> by default only on platforms that we know have Java as part of their
> standard install.
>
> - Josh

I wouldn't like to see Java deprecated, just because some people at Apple want to deprecate Java.
GCC is not installed by default, but it is required to use MacPorts.
Since (up to now) Apple indeed removed JDK (as it has already removed GCC)  but let an easy way to re-install JDK, I'd suggest to leave things as is with Java.