[79471] trunk/dports/science

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jun 14 22:19:32 PDT 2011

On 2011-6-15 07:39 , Thomas Robitaille wrote:
>>> +license http://montage.ipac.caltech.edu/docs/download.html
>>
>> The license field is supposed to list the name (and, if known, version) of the license, not a URL.
>>

> The issue is that it's a custom license, so I'm not sure what to do in this case?

Others [1] have some generic license keywords like "OSI-Approved" or
"Restrictive" that can be used to describe licenses that aren't widely
enough used to have a recognisable name.

In the end, the reasons for having the license field are both to inform
users (which a URL does reasonably well), and to allow an automated
process to decide whether binaries built from a port may be distributed
(which the URL does not do).

- Josh

[1] <http://www.finkproject.org/doc/packaging/policy.php>