Low-level issue with XCode 4 and MacPorts

Sam Goldman samwgoldman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:02:48 PDT 2011

I installed the XCode 4.2 beta w/ iOS 5 on Snow Leopard and then
installed a fresh MacPorts on top. MacPorts runs fine, and I tried to
install irssi, which installed successfully. However, when I tried to
run it, I got the following error:

macbook:~ sam$ irssi
Terminal doesn't support cursor movement
Can't initialize screen handling, quitting.
You can still use the dummy mode with -d parameter

Thinking perhaps this issue would be resolved upstream, I cleared out
my MacPorts and installed from subversion, per the guide[1]. I
experienced the same issue.

On IRC, someone suggested that I try to install something simpler,
htop. htop installed successfully but segfaults when I try to run it.
Here is a GDB session with backtrace:

macbook:~ sam$ gdb htop
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1700.2) (Thu May 19
01:38:32 UTC 2011)
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for
shared libraries ... done

(gdb) run
Starting program: /opt/local/bin/htop
Reading symbols for shared libraries ++. done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x0000000000000020
0x000000010003d419 in _nc_init_keytry ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000000010003d419 in _nc_init_keytry ()
#1  0x000000010003e422 in _nc_keypad ()
#2  0x000000010000352d in CRT_init ()
#3  0x0000000100004d3b in main ()

I think that the issue is very low level, perhaps with curses or
terminfo. I'm not sure the best way to confirm or deny.

I realize that XCode 4 is beta and not everyone will have it, but I
would be happy to help with the debugging effort.

Thanks,
Sam

1. http://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.subversion