Simplify sourceforge fetch group

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 22 17:35:47 PDT 2011

On Jun 21, 2011, at 04:48, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 06/20/2011 07:34 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Should we:
>>
>> a) accept that we are not currently benefiting from the large list of mirrors, and remove them
>
> As you explained having multiple mirrors doesn't help right now as they
> all redirect back to the mirror selector. As far as I understand it, we
> would have to fix the URL location for distfiles as well to benefit
> again from the large list of mirrors.
>
> But even if we only use the global redirector, I guess we would still
> have to face some redirects to the correct directory?

Removing the list of mirrors and leaving just the main redirector should reduce the number of redirects most* users currently experience by one.

*(all users except those for whom the redirector was the mirror MacPorts chose)

>> b) fix the distfile paths in all ports using the sourceforge fetch group so that we once again can fetch without redirects
>
> Is the directory structure with name/version etc. the same for all ports
> or is that defined by the individual project?

It differs by project, I believe, but I have not extensively surveyed the ports to see if there is a popular default we could use.