[79664] trunk/dports/devel/libnotify/Portfile

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Jun 22 18:10:57 PDT 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 17:44, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2011, at 19:38, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>>> libnotify: Don't install on Lion
>>>
>>> Yes, I know it installs and runs fine, but when libnotify.dylib is present in
>>> ${prefix}/lib, it causes problems when linking future binaries.  This results
>>> in miscelaneous build failures and runtime failures that are difficult to
>>> diagnose.
>>>
>>> Rather than subject users to these problems, it is better to disable this port
>>> until we can come up with a good solution for Lion.
>>
>> How about test for the file then stop and alert the user about the situation.

Test for it where?  I think preventing installation is the best solution.  We can revbump if you feel really strongly, but I don't think Lion is supported yet, so that's not really warranted.

>> Suggest they force uninstall the previous one, clean, and install again.
>>
>> Should we also make note of this in Known Issues/Migration?
>
> If that's the case, then add logic to the port to prevent its installation on Lion and greater.

Yeah, that's the change I made.

> I don't think any additional documentation is necessary, as the Migration page already sufficiently explains that upgrading from one OS to the next requires reinstallation of everything.

Yeah, I think that this is sufficient for now.  I'm looking into other alternatives (like renaming Gnome's libnotify as libgnome_notify), but this is the best solution for the time being.  If many users get bitten by this, I'll look into other alternatives, but this libnotify is mostly a leaf project.  The higher profile ports that it will block will be gnome (via epiphany) and winetricks.

FWIW, this was the root cause of the "-lintl" issue with neon that was raised last week.

--Jeremy