[79724] trunk/dports/perl/p5-www-wolframalpha/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 23 21:13:51 PDT 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 22:49, Larry Gilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Why? Isn't ${prefix}/share/examples/ the correct place for examples to go, according to "man porthier"?
>
> I've been seeing some ports put examples in
> ${prefix}/share/examples/${name}, and others put them in
> ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}/examples. The guide uses the latter in
> several examples, and also states that the "python" portgroup's
> pre-destroot is set by default to create the latter path.

I have been changing ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}/examples to ${prefix}/share/examples/${name} when I find it, in order to conform to porthier. But I had not noticed the passages in the guide, and it is interesting that the python portgroups do otherwise. Does anybody have any input on which we should use?

I see two references to this AFAIK wrong directory in the guide, here in an example of a post-destroot phase to copy examples:

http://guide.macports.org/#development.examples.augment

And here in an explanation of what the python portgroups' default pre-destroot phase does:

http://guide.macports.org/#reference.portgroup.python.sugar

> I'm okay with either one, as long as I can be sure which one is the
> right one. :-)
>
> While we're on the subject, I noticed that some other ports are using
> ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}-${version} for their doc directories.

That is an old idea tried out by Anthony Ramine several years ago, the reasons for which seem not to have been valid, and which I proposed some time ago that we phase out, and there were no objections. I try to fix these or file tickets about them when I see them.

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2009-October/010526.html

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2008-November/006526.html