perl5, perl5.* changes

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Tue Mar 1 10:44:48 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 05:25:12PM +0100, Rainer M?ller wrote:
> Not an objection per se, but as this has been discussed on
> macports-users only, I am explicitly adding Eric and Marcus as current
> maintainers of perl5 to CC to this post.

Thanks -- I missed that this was going only to macports-users
and not -dev. Sorry about that.

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 11:09:19AM -0500, Arno Hautala wrote:
> One, slight, objection.
>
> In the interest of not having to revbump twice, are we ready to fully
> migrate to 5.12?
> I've seen several votes for dropping the multiple perl versions and
> just following the latest stable release. I haven't seen any requests
> to stick with the existing multiple version "support".

I'm not adverse to waiting if indeed a solution to the
multiple-versions issue is imminent. (I don't want to revbump 800+
ports any more than I want to force everyone to rebuild all of them
twice.)

But if there isn't a consensus on what to do about that, or how to
implement the solution -- and Eric's email suggests that's the case --
then getting it right may take some time. If that's the case, I'd
prefer to err on the side of revbumping early (and perhaps needing to
do so again later) so people are not left with a broken perl in the
meantime.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/