Filesize in Portfiles (was Re: [76684] trunk/dports/sysutils/rpm/Portfile)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Mar 6 09:16:28 PST 2011

Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> I think it'd be useful to include the download size, not as a security
>> or integrity feature, but as information for the user. This would
>> require additional changes to base, but the user could be informed of
>> the total size of data to be requested for all ports before things
>> begin.
>
> In that case, just let libcurl report these things with HEAD requests.

Implemented as "curl getsize" in MacPorts pextlib, for instance.
As used by distcheck.type=filesize, to report all distfiles...

$ port -v distcheck rpm distcheck.type=filesize
port rpm: rpm-4.4.9.tar.gz 14108094 bytes
rpm: 13.5M
# was trying to answer "how big is MacPorts"...

But that would still require a network access to get that info,
even if was better than the previous (having to download them).

--anders