Filesize in Portfiles (was Re: [76684] trunk/dports/sysutils/rpm/Portfile)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Mar 8 00:29:34 PST 2011

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> Currently, we are updating four: version (i.e. affecting the distfile), md5, sha1, rmd160. Just saying that it would be less clutter to have, say "SIZE" and "SHA256" collected in a "distinfo" file, since that's what FreeBSD Ports is using... ("make makesum") Just an observation from using both ports systems, really.
>
> Kind of begs the question:  Do we need this many checksums?  md5 and sha1 are weak hashes, sure, but how about sha256?

Apparently MacPorts prefers using sha1+rmd160 over sha256, and also it was "too long" (fixed by automating, or using base-32)

The md5 is more of a left-over, though still used by many upstreams. But think it's currently being recommended against using ?

I dunno, it seems to be the norm. Add new features, leave old ones in.
Three versions of checksums, archives, pythons, perls, and so on....

Anyway, we don't want filesizes and we don't want sha256 checksums.
It's implemented already, but not worth the effort fighting about...

--anders