Minimum OS Versions Depending on Architectures

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Mar 8 14:43:04 PST 2011

On 2011-3-9 04:49 , Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> Can MacPorts change the minimum OS it can compile for depending on the architecture being built while also changing the supported architecture based on what OS it's being built on?

We build with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=$macosx_version. There's no
mechanism that automatically changes supported_archs depending on
platform, but you can easily do it yourself (platform foo {
supported_archs bar }).

> I was working on a Mumble update and found this gem:
> CONFIG+=universal (OSX)
>  Build a universal binary build of Mumble for i386 and ppc instead of the
>  default x86-64-only build. The universal build is meant to be used with
>  the Carbon version of Qt, and is compatible with 10.4+.
>  The x86-64 build of Mumble is compatible with 10.5+ and requires a Cocoa
>  version of Qt.
>
> Presently it does only i386 ppc but if possible to expand (since an x86_64 build is now the default) it'd be interesting.

Sure, it should be using the configured universal_archs if at all
possible. We don't bother explicitly disabling x86_64 on 10.4 since it
simply doesn't work at all. If Mumble needs to be told when to use
Carbon, do that on the same platforms as qt4-mac (just darwin 8 IIRC).

- Josh