[76912] trunk/dports/devel/bzr-svn

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 12 18:23:53 PST 2011

On Mar 12, 2011, at 19:59, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2011-3-13 10:18 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2011, at 17:12, Rainer Müller wrote:
>>
>>> Splitting options is not the way we usually do it. For example, we set
>>> distname and extract.suffix which influence distfiles. We do not set
>>> distfiles and split distname and extract.suffix out afterwards.
>>
>> One of our best-practices is to compute the branch out of the version field:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#branch
>
> Setting branch and then using it in version would be easier to follow.

Perhaps. But it wouldn't meet the goal of being able to come to most any port and update it by updating only the version line and the checksums lines (and discarding the revision line), which is currently possible for a great number of ports. I update a *lot* of ports (the 200+ I maintain, and countless others which I handle tickets about when I see them), and I'm pleased that for most of them, I can just fire off a script, telling it the name of the port and the new version number, and it plugs the new version and its new distfiles' checksums into the portfile, shows me the diff, and I can look and see that it is good, verify the port builds, and commit it. The more ports that do variable substitution in their version lines, the more effort I have to spend updating ports. Not saying this should be the only consideration, just explaining why I like it this way.