Abandoned port [nbsmtp]

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 17 16:18:28 PDT 2011

On Mar 17, 2011, at 16:49, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> Hello,
> this is from nbsmtp author:
> ***
> I used to maintain it, but I haven't touched it in years. I don't even
> have a copy of the git repository handy. I guess it can be called
> 'dead'.
> In actual fact, there's very little reason to use it nowadays. I seem
> to recall msmtp being the obvious replacement.
> ***
>
> is it worth finding an updated tarball and hosting on macports
> repository or should we just call it dead and prune it from tree?
>
> This apart the port is outdated too, I see several linux distributions
> offering 1.00 .
>
> What's your thought?

I'm not familiar with the software. If you can find an updated version of nbsmtp and can update the port to that version, great. If not, and you'd like to declare the port dead, you should make it a stub port marked as "replaced_by msmtp"; after everybody can reasonably be expected to have updated (I recommend a period of no less than one year), the nbsmtp port can then be deleted.