Binary Packages (again)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Mar 21 03:30:11 PDT 2011

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> So I added @pkgdep to the +CONTENTS (like in FreeBSD),
>> to record the versions/revisions of the dependencies.
>> Hopefully that could be of _some_ help, when trying to
>> install from archives only (i.e. the "port -b" flag)
>
> That's a definite start.  It would be interesting to survey FreeBSD's packages and see what the most common @operations in +CONTENTS are.  Is it mostly metadata, like the pkgdep info, or is it a lot of shell commands?   I'll confess that I have not looked in a long time.

The most common, by far, are the "@comment MD5" lines...
Since there is one of those, for every file in the tbz.

The "@comment ORIGIN" and "@comment DEPORIGIN" are also
present a lot, but not really needed/used in MacPorts ?
(i.e. there is no "origin", but only what directory it's
stored in and what category happens to be first in line)

Here is the census, for 8.2 (amd64):

3402386 @comment MD5:
527201 @pkgdep
527201 @comment DEPORIGIN: