Porting... the ports

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Mar 23 03:50:55 PDT 2011

Rainer Müller wrote:

>> I see that, besides recompiling libfetch and libmd, only a few patches
>> are applied to the original FreeBSD makefiles in order to compile the
>> pkgtools back on Mac OS X.
>>
> NetBSD pkgsrc, Gentoo portage, Homebrew, fink, rudix, ...
>
> All of them work on Mac OS X. It's not new that other package management
> tools are being ported.

Swapping tcl for bsdmake doesn't feel like progress, either...
Using ruby (like portupgrade), now that would be different. :-)
Maybe python (like portage) could be easier for e.g. students.

And there is no reason why base needs to be in Tcl and not C.
(as one could continue the port of base from Tcl to Objective-C
without needing to change the Portfile syntax because of that)

But make ? For 2011 ?

It was old in 2001...

--anders