GSoC idea for the binary issue (yet again)

Panayotis Katsaloulis panayotis at panayotis.com
Mon Mar 28 00:26:12 PDT 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 2:28 AM, Erik Österlund wrote:

> Issue 2
> The second issue is that binary packages and ports compiled and installed from source do not know about each other; they do not share the same registry. So part of the job will be to make sure the new pkg command uses the same registry as the ports command.

Mind if I ask something here?
Since it would be impossible to create binary packages that everybody could use (consider variants), it feels to me that it should be possible to mix binary packages compiled from sources and binary downloaded packages (along with their dependencies). Actually binary packages compiled from source should have no difference at all with binary downloaded packages.
Would that schema support this feature?