GSoC idea for the binary issue (yet again)

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Mar 28 13:33:56 PDT 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 4:00 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Just seems to have a hard time finding such a package manager, with
> rpm not being accepted and doing something like xpkg too much work ?

I don't think there are any good reasons any more not to just choose a package manager and go with it (be it rpm, dpkg, or whatever).

... back in the day, there were some thoughts that MP would integrate with the OS package manger (which would have been something new, apkg) and given that there was no chance of Apple using something GPL'd to install OS components - rpm and dpkg were rejected.

I also think it makes sense to start with archives (simple tarred up destroots) and incrementally improve things (so we maybe end up with our own packages), since there hasn't been buy in for any of the various efforts to try to adopt one or another existing package manager.

--
Daniel J. Luke