[86173] trunk/dports/python/py-sip/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 1 07:43:44 PDT 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 09:16, Eric A. Borisch wrote:

>>> Don't let that stop you though.
>>
>> Right. Even just getting the current manpages to appear in the guide would be helpful. But we would want to do so in a way that isn't just formatting the current manpages as XML and copying them into the guide sources, because they'll just get out of sync with the manpages sources. We currently have some things documented in the guide and not the manpages, some things documented in the manpages and not the guide, and some things documented in the wiki, and even some things documented on the MacPorts web page proper, with some overlap between all of these. The goal of the documentation rewrite was to deduplicate and get a single canonical source for the documentation, out of which could be generated whatever formats we wanted. It is probably a long and involved process though.
>
> For now, I've added the wiki page
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/eborisch/man_portfile so it will
> hopefully get digested into search engines...

As I had hoped to make clear in my previous paragraph, I don't think that's a good idea, because the wiki page will get out of sync with the source. When somebody commits an update to the manpage in the repository, they're unlikely to know this wiki page exists and to update it in both places. Or do you plan to monitor the repository for changes to the manpage and update the wiki page then?

Furthermore, you've only dealt with one of the manpages here; we have several.