buildbot errors

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Nov 17 15:37:17 PST 2011

On Nov 14, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> osc build --ccache Fedora_15 foobar
>>
>> then all the build environment for fedora is created in my /tmp, chrooted (or something similar) and all is built locally so I won't take online resources for testing.
>
> I think it would be astronomically difficult to get anything like that working on OS X. We can't even get a chroot at all working on Snow Leopard and up; other MacPorts developers have tried that and failed. That's why the buildbot doesn't run in a chroot. Getting a chroot, plus making it believe it was an earlier version of the OS than it is, with the corresponding required version of Xcode that only runs on that earlier OS, sounds impossible to me. It would be much easier to run an entire earlier version of OS X in virtualization.

Really?  You've given up on darwintrace so easily? :-)

I don't know what attempts you've made to simulate a chroot environment with it, but we had pretty good success doing that (and "faulting in" dependencies as we went, including the base OS bits themselves) with darwinbuild (from which the original darwintrace comes).  I know that the crappy buildall shell script I wrote used chroot and mounted disk images to build things in a clean environment each time, but I also learned how incredibly painfully slow that was and prone to error.  If I had it to do over, I would definitely go the "simulated chroot" route, and probably (in this case) also allow the user's system bits to be a source location for faulting stuff in as an option, assuming the user could also make some reasonable assertions about how clean their host environment was.

- Jordan